If you put a toddler in a ball pit, you would be able to see the delight as he kicks, throws, jumps and rolls amidst all the light plastic balls. Those ball pits in amusement centers are always a big hit among kids and they also provide a safe environment for parents to leave their kids in to have a great time.
Now, the good thing is you can get a ball pit set up in your own home too. Of course, it would be on a much, much smaller scale but for home use, it can be sufficient for a kid or two. Let’s take a look at some units that are available and see which one may be the best ball pit for toddlers that fits your needs.
FocuSun Portable Kids Playpen Ball Pit
This kids’ playpen ball pit is highly affordable with a quick and easy set up. Basically, it folds flat for storage and pops open for simple set up. It has a hexagon shape and you can get it in a polka dot design.
==> Check Price
A mesh window on one side gives visibility for the kid inside the playpen. Made of polyester fabrics which is waterproof, it can be wiped clean. When opened up, the ball pit measures about 59″ x 59″ x 35.5″.
- It is a pretty large ball pit and you can fit 2 kids in there for them to play together.
- It is cheap costing only about $20 at the time of writing. At the other extreme, an inflatable bounce house ball pit will cost you a few hundred dollars.
- It is easy to put away and it folds down flat to the size of about a large paper plate. This is great if you do not have a permanent space for it in your home.
- Because it is large, you will need a lot of plastic balls for the ball pit. 100 balls will barely cover a single layer and you will still be able to see the ground. Some parents buy up to 600 balls to fill it up although you can probably settle for 300 to 400. More balls means more money that you need to spend.
- Some parents have complained that the material is flimsy and tears easily.
- It could be hard for a toddler to get in and out as there is no entrance door. He will need to climb over the sides to enter and exit. If you are using it as a ball pit for babies, there is no crawling tunnel for them. An adult will need to lift them into and out of the pit.
The quality is not top notch for this kids’ ball pit. It probably wouldn’t last you long but it is a lightweight and collapsible ball pit that doesn’t cost a lot of money. The balls that you need to buy will cost more than what you are going to pay for this unit. But since it is a large ball pit that can fit more than 1 kid, it is simply more fun for the kids when they get in.
Play Tent with Tunnel and 100 Balls
This pop up ball pit is a bit more interesting as it comes with a crawl tunnel. The tunnel is about 69″ (L) x 19″ (W) x 19″ (H). It is also detachable from the tent.
==> Check Price
100 balls are provided for you to fill up the tent to turn into a ball pit. The tent measures 22″ (L) x 39.25″ (W) x 22″ (H). You also have the options to leave the balls out and treat it like a playhouse.
The whole struture is easy to set up and fold up for storage. A carrying case is provided so that you can easily bring this anywhere you go.
- The tunnel is detachable which means you can use it for other play activities.
- It is compact when folded up which makes for convenient storage.
- Balls are provided and hence, you can choose not to buy any extras.
- The tent is large enough to fit an adult inside if you want to get in to play with your kid.
- The connection between the tunnel and tent is loose.
- It can collapse if your kid leans on the tent since the whole structure is foldable.
- This kids’ ball pit can tear easily with rough play.
- Another 100 to 200 balls could have been included to save parents the hassle of getting more to fill up the tent.
This particular play tent ball pit with tunnel is not a solid and sturdy structure. If you want something more solid, you will definitely have to pay more. But for the price, it is still good fun for your kids. As long as you are aware that this is a collapsible piece with its drawbacks, you will be less likely to be disappointed with what you get out of the box.
Active Play 3 in 1 Gym Set
If you are looking for a more permanent toddlers’ ball pit that is not collapsible, the Active Play 3 in 1 Gym Set would probably fil the bill. It also comes with a slide for additional fun and so, you don’t have to get a separate indoor slide for your kid. There are wide steps to get to the top of the slide. There is also a toss target included.
==> Check Price
The whole structure has durable, inter-locking connectors with double-locking springs. It is made of plastic and hence, easy to assemble. The dimensions are about 55″ (L) x 62″ (W) x 29″ (H) and the gym set has a maximum weight of 150 lbs. 50 balls are provided in the box.
- There is more to it than just a ball pit as it also comes with a slide and toss target. A toddler will get more fun in one single set.
- It won’t collapse like a pop up ball pit.
- The steps up the slide is toddler-friendly.
- 50 balls are too few to fill up the ball pit. You will need about 200 balls which means you would have to purchase extras.
- This is an indoor ball pit but with the slide part, you will need to allow for more space in your playroom.
- There is no entrance into the ball pit. Your kid will need to climb in and out or may require your help all the time.
- While the manufacturer claims that it is easy to assemble, it is not the case for some parents. There are a lot of parts and they find that the instructions are not clear enough.
Because the slide is a bit short, that part may be outgrown pretty quickly. However, the ball pit may make up for it but for a younger child, getting in and out could also pose a risk as they could climb the sides and fall when you aren’t watching. So, while it is great for a year-old toddler, you will need to keep an eye on your kid during play time. But on the upside, it won’t collapse like a fabric play tent does.