Today, we have all sorts of digital gagdets to make life easier and more interesting for us. Even for the kids, their toys are getting increasingly sophisticated with endless digital products to stimulate their learning and development. The VTech Kidizoom Smartwatch is no different. It is perhaps the best smartwatch for kids on the market today for the lower age group of 4 to 9 years.
VTech Kidizoom Smartwatch Review
The watch both teaches and entertains. Being a watch, of course, you can use it to tell time. So, there are over 50 clock face designs for your kid to choose from as well as the option to choose between digital or analog display. Combined with a telling time game, this should encourage kids to know how to read the time and pick up the skill fairly quickly. There is also an alarm clock with a timer built in.
==> Check Price
For the fun aspect, there are 4 games included in the watch. You can download more games and clock displays through the VTech’s Learning Lodge. A micro USB is used for transferring of images and videos as well as for charging purposes. The watch is powered by a rechargeable battery.
Next, for those who love being creative, the smartwatch can be used to take pictures and videos with the 0.3 megapixel camera. The photos will have a 640 x 480 resolution. As for recording, your kid can choose a 320 x 240 or 160 x 120 video at 15 frames per second. Then, they can add photo effects, frames and filters to touch up the images. A voice recorder with 5 voice changing effects will also make things fun for the kids. Altogether, they can store about 800 photos or 6 60-second video clips in the smartwatch with the 128MB internal memory.
Using touch screen technology, kids will find the VTech Kidizoom user-friendly. It is intuitive to use with clear icons on the 1.4-inch screen. The screen has a 128 x 128 resolution. The watch has a durable design with splash and sweat resistant features. Targeted at both genders, you will find a wide range of colors available for sale from blue to pink to camouflage.
- Fun – From a kid’s perspective, this is a cool toy to have. Of course, it can’t beat an iPad in terms of the functions and picture quality, but it is wearable. This means kids can bring this fun toy with them wherever they go without having to worry about losing it. From telling time to games to photo-taking, there are much that a kid can do with it to keep them entertained, right from their wrist.
- Parental control – VTech certainly didn’t forget about the parents when they designed this watch. So, there is a parental control setting available for you to control the game time for your kid. You certainly don’t want them to be staring at the small screen all day. There is also a volume control setting to make this less annoying for the adults.
- Picture quality – It does not have the picture quality like what you would get from an advanced smartphone or digital camera. But it is more than sufficient for a kid’s needs. For such a small toy, the quality of the photos and videos does not disappoint.
- Intuitive – The touch screen is sensitive and hence, it is very responsive. The watch is intuitive to use and for a tech-savvy kid, which most are nowadays, they probably can figure this out without the need of any instructions.
- Power switch – The power switch is tiny and located at the back of the watch face. It is not easy for a kid to turn this on and off. The younger ones would probably require help.
- Battery drains – Some online reviewers have noticed that the battery drains pretty quickly that it will need to be recharged often. Even for an hour of play, the battery may run low the next time your kid turns it on. They will also need to remember to turn it off once play is over to conserve battery life.
- Too simple – For those who are really tech-savvy, this kids’ smartwatch may not hold their interest for long. The games may be too simple for older kids too. If your kid is already very proficient with using smartphones and their various apps, this could be a tad too simple. But overall, most find this VTech kids’ watch fun and entertaining.
VTech Kidizoom Smartwatch DX
VTech Kidizoom Smartwatch DX is more expensive of the 2 models. This is because VTech has added some new features in the DX to pack in more interesting stuff for the kids. Compared to the VTech Kidizoom Smartwatch, the DX has these following extras:
- 256MB internal memory
- Calendar and calculator functions
- 8 games with motion sensor
- New clock faces, including 3D faces
==> Check Price
The 256MB memory means it can store about 1600 photos or about 11 minutes of 320 x 240 videos limited to 1-minute per file. We are not too sure if kids would need this additional memory space for all the photos and video clips but the additional games that you can download may be a decisive factor. At least, there will be more choices for your kid to keep them entertained longer.
You can check out all the features of the DX in this video clip:
Depending on the color and availability, the difference in price between the Smartwatch DX and the Smartwatch is about $20 at the time of writing. For an extra $20, you may not have to help your kid to clear the memory as often when they go taking photos of everything and there are more games for them to play. So, the $20 could be well-spent.