If you want your kids to develop strength, balance and agility, there is probably nothing better than a dome climbing structure. You don’t need a big one that will dominate your backyard as even a small size dome can be appropriate for a 10-year-old. Climbing is fun for young kids although they will need your supervision when playing with a dome climber.
Below are 3 best outdoor climbing domes that we think are worth looking at.
Lifetime Geometric Dome Climber Play Center
This is definitely a bestseller for a dome climber. The Lifetime Geometric Dome Climber can take a maximum of 600lbs, so you can imagine how sturdy it is when assembled. If you have a few kids, you can be assured that the frame will be able to take the weight put on it with ease.
==> Check Price
The climber is constructed using weather-and-rust-resistant powder coated steel. This is to prevent it from cracking, chipping and rusting. The powder coated steel is also heat-resistant so that the bars will not burn your kid’s hands during the hotter days. The tubings has a diamater of 1.5 inches with a length of 33 inches.
The manufacturer has also included hand climbing grips made of high-density polyethylene so that your kid can have a firm grip as he pulls himself up. The assembled climbing dome structure will have a 10-foot diameter and 5-foot height.
- The whole structure is solid and sturdy.
- It is not too big that you can’t move it. With help, you can move this kids climbing dome out of the way when you need to mow the lawn.
- The grips are a nice addition to make climbing easier for younger kids.
- As per online reviews, many parents are happy with the durability of this metal climbing dome although there are a few complaints of rust after 2 years. On the other hand, many have had it for more than 2 years and the structure still remains solid.
- Assembly is easy enough although instructions need to be followed closely.
- This is not suitable as a climbing dome for toddlers. Even a 3-year-old may have difficulty reaching the bars. It is perhaps best for 4 to 5 year olds. So, supervision and help will be necessary if your kid is still young.
- It is more expensive than other brands but as a consolation, it is slightly bigger than similar models from their competitors.
- It is just a dome with no monkey bars at the top to make play more interesting. In fact, some kids do find a trampoline to be more fun for outdoor play.
If you have a toddler or a 3-year-old, he will take some time to grow into the Lifetime Geometric Dome Climber. Therefore, be mindful of the difficulty level when you purchase this.
Easy Outdoor Space Dome Climber
The Easy Outdoor Space Dome Climber is a bit smaller than the Lifetime climber above. Therefore, if you have younger kids, this might be a better option. It is slightly less than 8 feet wide and 4 feet high in the middle. The recommended age for this playground dome climber is 3 to 10.
==> Check Price
Although it is smaller, it does have a high weight limit. It can support up to 1,000lbs with its durable rust-and-UV-resistant steel construction.
- It has a small footprint with a diameter of less than 8 feet. As such, it won’t take up much space in your yard.
- It is easier for kids in the lowest recommended age group to climb the dome with its lower height compared to the Lifetime Geometric Dome Climber.
- It is very sturdy and even adults can climb on it without putting strain on the bars.
- You can move it with help if necessary.
- The Easy Outdoor Space Dome Climber holds up well outdoors with one online reviewer mentioning that she have had it for 4 years with little sign of rust and bent bars.
- Some buyers find the assembly to be tedious and time-consuming as it took them a few hours to put it up although the instructions are simple enough to follow. Do note that it is not like a soccer goal structure whereby assembly is minimal.
- The height of the dome climbing structure is less than 4 feet so, even a 3-year-old may need to bend his legs when hanging from the highest bar. It may also be a tad too small for a 10-year-old.
The Easy Outdoor Space Dome Climber is not much different than the Lifetime Geometric Dome Climber except for the size. A smaller climber will be easier to start with but a bigger one will not get outgrown as fast. However, the Space Dome Climber is about $40 cheaper at the time of writing, so this might be a better value buy for some.
Toy Monster Monkey Bars Tower
The design of this children’s dome climber is a bit different with a monkey bar top. Also, instead of steel, it is made of durable plastic tubes and connectors that interlock with double self-locking springs.
==> Check Price
Being plastic, it has a maximum weight of only 150lbs. The highest point is about 4 feet from the ground. The diameter of the dome is about 6 feet. The recommended age for this is 2 to 10.
- Toy Monster Monkey Bars Tower is portable. Since it is a plastic structure, it is much lighter than the 2 metal dome climbers above. Therefore, you can move it anywhere with ease.
- Because it is made of plastic tubings, the impact will be lessen if your kid hits his head against the bars compared to steel tubings.
- Although lightweight, the dome climber seems safe even with more than one kid climbing it.
- The small size means you could set it up as an indoor climbing dome for the winter months.
- Many buyers have commented online that the top part is a bit shaky altough it does feel strong and stay in place.
- The plastic tubings will definitely not have a solid feel like steel ones do.
- Some pieces could be difficult to snap on and assembly could result in sore thumbs.
If you want something small and portable, the Toy Monster Monkey Bars Tower is the dome climber to get. It will also be more appropriate for toddlers compared to the 2 bigger climbing domes above.