Toddlers like to climb. But there is always a danger of them falling down and hurting themselves when they start climbing onto chairs and tables. So, why not give them a safe environment in which they can climb all they want and yet, enjoy themselves in the process? Foam climbing blocks for toddlers is what you need if a safe climbing area is what you are after.
Below are 3 different block sets that you can get. They are a few of the more popular indoor foam climbers that many parents choose to buy.
Foamnasium Gymnasium is a 4-piece set which includes:
- 1 large block measuring 20″ (L) x 20″ (W) x 20″ (H)
- 1 toddler step measuring 20″ (L) x 16″ (W) x 10″ (H)
- 2 wedges each measuring 20″ (L) x 10″ (W) x 20″ (H)
Made of polyurethane foam, it is free of odor and flame-retardant. Your kid can sit on it and doesn’t sag and yet, it is soft enough that it wouldn’t cause bruises all round.
==> Check Price
The vinyl exterior is brightly colored to attract young kids to play and the surface makes it easy to wipe clean too. The 4 pieces can be moved about to create any configuration that you want. There is a handle on the blocks to make it easy to move it from one spot to another.
- Sturdy and firm, the blocks don’t lose their shape easily even under the weight of older kids.
- The majority of buyer reviews online have noted that there is no chemical odor out of the box.
- You can arrange the blocks anyway you want. That means your kid can create different configurations as he gets older for a different kind of play.
- The material makes it easy to keep clean.
- There are no Velcro strips to attach the blocks together to make it more secure for climbing. But the bottom is anti-slip which helps to keep the blocks in place.
- There are negative reviews of the blocks ripping after a few months of use but such complaint is not prevalent.
- The price for this toddler indoor climbing toy is expensive for a 4-piece set.
Overall, Foamnasium Gymnasium is a great climber for toddlers to develop their gross motor skills before they graduate to an outdoor dome climbing structure but the price may cause you to think twice. However, most foam climbers are costly, especially the better quality ones with bigger blocks. A cheaper option would be the CP Toys 5-piece set listed below.
CP Toys 5-Piece Lightweight Vinyl Soft Play Forms
This CP Toys foam blocks is a 5-peice set which is lightweight to make it easy for your kid to move the blocks around. The foam is covered with vinyl material that can be wiped clean.
==> Check Price
The 5 pieces in the set are a cylinder, semi-circle, ramp, rectangular block and square block. The ramp measures 24″ (L) x 16″ (W) x 8″ (H). The rest of the pieces would also have the same height and/or width so that they come up level when put next to each other.
- This indoor foam blocks set is one of the least expensive options compared to other brands.
- The blocks are durable and can withstand rough play by older kids.
- The set is easy to maintain as they can be wiped down to keep clean.
- The blocks are lightweight and therefore, your kid will find it easy to move them around to build different configurations.
- There is nothing to keep the blocks together and thus, they move easily when kids climb on them.
- Some parents feel that the blocks are a bit small and hence, more quickly otugrown than bigger pieces.
The CP Toys 5-piece foam climber is one of the cheapest alternatives. So, although it is a bit smaller and more slippery than the dearer sets, it is a more economical buy. They may be more quickly outgrown, but kids will find other ways to play with them as they grow older anyway like using them as a fort or a toy car garage and pushing cars down the ramp. So, as long as it is durable, it will provide other kinds of fun to a growing kid besides being just a climber.
Children’s Factory Soft Tunnel Climber
This Children’s Factory Soft Tunnel Climber looks a bit more exciting than the 2 sets above with a tunnel to crawl through. So, instead of just climber over the blocks, your toddler can also crawl under it.
==> Check Price
It has a vinyl covering and Velcro strips to keep the pieces together. The dimensions for the structure shown above is 69″ (L) x 70″ (W) x 18″ (H).
- With the Velcro strips, the whole sturcture won’t come apart when your toddler climbs on it which makes it safer.
- It is durable and the blocks retain their shapes even under the weight of an older kid.
- The vinyl exterior makes it easy to wipe away dirt and mess.
- There is a crawl through tunnel for more play options like peek-a-boo that toddlers love.
- While it sticks together with the Velcro, the blocks can also be easily taken apart for storage.
- This Children’s Factory soft climber is expensive and you will have to fork out over $300 for it at the time of writing.
- Some parents didn’t find the half-moon padded pieces on either side of the tunnel to be useful.
- The whole set is not designed for add-on as your toddler grows older because there are no Velcro strips for you to hook additional pieces to.
This indoor soft climbing toy is a big investment but it is a well-made set. At least, it doesn’t come apart when your toddler is on it and this safety aspect alone could be worth the higher price. With this, you also can make do without other types of toys like an indoor slide or a crawl through ball pit since it already has a ramp and a tunnel.