Fancy a very detailed play kitchen for your kid? Then, you will have to check out the Melissa & Doug Classic Deluxe Kitchen. It is a little different from the usual plastic kitchen playset because it is solid and very heavy, unlike plastic ones which are more mobile.
The features of the kitchen include:
- Microwave with turntable
- See through oven
- Turning knobs for the oven
- Storage space
- Detailing such as timer, shopping list, etc.
- The dimensions are 42 inches tall by 43 inches wide by 17.5 inches deep
Melissa & Doug Classic Deluxe Kitchen Review – Should You Buy?
- Safety – There are no sharp edges for this kitchen playset which is definitely a practical consideration given that it is a toy meant for toddlers and young children. All the corners are rounded while the screws and bolts are recessed. For a wooden kitchen, having rounded corners is definitely a plus in terms of safety.
- Solid and heavy – The whole kitchen weighs over 90 pounds. So, unlike plastic ones, it is extremely durable and you can be assured it won’t topple over. On the downside, you can’t move it around easily and you will have to reserve a permanent place for it in your home.
- Very detailed – The whole kitchen has realistic detailing all over from the fridge to the walls. The bright colors are also attractive to toddlers while the detailing will make the kitchen more realistic to older children.
- Large size – As it is quite a large kitchen, there is ample storage space for accessories including the oven, empty shelf at the bottom, fridge and microwave. It also means more than one kid can play at the same time without the need to fight for space.
- No batteries required – This can be both a good and bad thing, depending on your preference. Some parents prefer a play kitchen with no electronic sounds like this one here. The advantage of this is that it will better inspire imagination during play and you save money on batteries. The not so good thing is it could be a little boring for some without the some realistic kitchen sounds like boiling and sizzling effects which most Step 2 kitchens tend to have.
- Assembly takes time – You will need to set aside at least 2 hours for assembly. There are over 200 pieces altogether including the wooden panels and screws although most buyers agree that the instructions are easy to follow. Some will take way longer than 2 hours to complete, but it all depends on your skills and help, if any.
- Expensive – As comparison, popular and fairly large plastic play kitchens like the Step 2 Lifestyle Dream Kitchen costs about $40 less. Even wooden ones, like the KidKraft Uptown Kitchen and Vintage Kitchen retail for less compared to this Melissa & Doug Deluxe Kitchen.
- No accessories included – You will need to get your own play food, plates, utensils and silverware to go with this playset.
All in all, the Melissa & Doug Classic Deluxe Kitchen is a solid playset although there is always room for improvement. Having a door for the empty storage space at the bottom of the kitchen would be nice to transform it into a real cabinet but then again, that would certainly inflate the price further.
Although expensive, the kitchen playset is worth it if you are going to pass it down to your younger kids down the road. Because it is durable, you know you could hand it down in one piece and this is where it makes the cost worthwhile in the long run. But if you are buying it for only one kid, you might like to take a look at something cheaper like the Cook’s Corner Wooden Kitchen also by Melissa & Doug unless, of course, you really do not mind spending nearly $200 on a pretend play kitchen.