A teeter totter is a simple playground equipment but it is full of fun for the children. Younger kids, especially, love the feeling of going up and down on a seesaw. But there is also more to it than that. Nowadays, you can have a spinning teeter totter or a whole outdoor playset right in your backyard. Below are 3 popular models and let’s look at these teeter totter reviews to see if they are worth the space in your yard.
Gym Dandy Spinning Teeter Totter
Your kids will love the Gym Dandy Spinning Teeter Totter because apart from just the up and down movement, they can also spin this around 360 degrees. With a special universal joint and coaster wheels below each seat, this teeter totter also becomes a merry-go-round to double up the fun for the kids. The wheels is to ease the spinning movement when one side is at the lowest point.
==> Check Price
With a durable frame construction, it has a powder-coated finish to prevent rust. The seats are cushioned with a back rest for added safety. The handle bars are covered with rubber for a more comfortable grip. The recommended age group for this Gym Dandy teeter totter is 3 to 13 years with a maximum weight limit of 300lbs or 150lbs on each side.
- It has a very sturdy frame and seems durable. A few parents who have reviewed this spinning teeter totter online have said that they have had it for a few years and it is still going strong.
- The weight limit of 300lbs means even an adult can climb on this and play with their kids. Even parents who have exceeded the weight limit didn’t find it to be a problem when they got on to play.
- The seats are comfortable and the cushion is a big plus.
- Your kids can still enjoy riding this teeter totter when they are older. Hence, unlike a slide, it is a backyard toy that won’t be quickly outgrown.
- Assembly is easy and takes only an hour or two to complete.
- The seat covers may start to peel and crack after one season outdoors. You will need to cover it up if you want it to last longer.
- It could be scary for the younger kids due to the height and the fast spinning speed. Adult supervision is required for the younger kids because there is always a risk of them falling off the teeter totter if it spins too fast for them.
The weak link in the Gym Dandy teeter totters is the seat. Complaints of the seat disintegrating are pretty common. So, although you get a metal teeter totter with a frame that can last, the seats could give way much earlier. But the fun factor is superb for this spinning seesaw. Alternatively, you can look at the rocking motion teeter totter which is also sold by the same company.
Lifetime Ace Flyer Teeter-Totter
If your kids like to be a pilot, an airplane teeter totter would be a great addition to your backyard. Because it looks like an airplane with a dashboard and steering wheel that turns, your kids can also play pretend on this thing apart from using it as a seesaw.
==> Check Price
Like its swing set, the Lifetime Ace Flyer is constructed of powder-coated steel. The seats and dashboard are made of durable plastic. Hence, the airplane teeter totter is not supposed to crack, warp, rot, split or fade.
Apart from up and down movement, the teeter totter will also go side to side. It has 3 height settings and can seat 7 kids at the same time with a 600lbs weight capacity. You can get it in earthtones or primary colors.
- If you have a few kids, this will be great for group play since this is a 7-seater teeter totter compared to the traditional version which only allows for 2 kids to play at the same time.
- It has a very sturdy construction and feels safe even with all 7 seats taken up during play.
- Most online reviews reveal satisfactory ratings with buyers generally happy with the quality of this kids’ teeter totter. There are also buyers who have used it for a few years and are satisfied with the durability.
- It is different from traditional seesaws because the airplane design provides room for imaginative play as well. It also looks good in your garden unlike a trampoline or dome climber.
- Compared to the spinning teeter totter, it is less thrilling for older kids.
- There are many parts to assemble and some buyers took as long as 6 hours to get it set up.
The Lifetime Ace Flyer Teeter-Totter may appeal more to boys than girls because of the design. Also, because it doesn’t go very high, it could lose its thrill factor rather quickly. But it is safer compared to the Gym Dandy unit and hence, if you have toddlers and younger kids, this could be a better option for your home playground. It is also more fun than simple plastic teeter totters.